about & contact
I’m a father, husband, educator, guerrilla geographer, explorer, experimenter, activist, feminist, author, drummer, Director of Explorer HQ and Topolocus Limited, a creator Mission:Explore and a lead partner in The Geography Collective. I’m also delighted to have recently been named as one of National Geographic’s Emerging Explorers for 2012.
On this blog I’m sharing my (mis)adventures to explore, experience and share one of many worlds. Maybe you’ll join me for a while too?
I’ve a few things coming up in coming months including some exploring, a food expedition, teacher training and lots of speaking. Here are a few of my public engagements:
- Guerrilla Geography for NatGeo Live Lecture at National Geographic
- Guerrilla Geography for the Netherlands 2nd Congress of Geography Teachers in January
- Something for TEDxEcoleHôtelièreLausanne in March
- Expedition of little explorations this summer
- Mission:Exploring at Hay Festival of Literature and Arts in May 2013
I am currently helping InterContinental Hotels and Resorts with a TED Conversation exploring the Future of Local. Why not watch this video that we made and then join the conversation here.
My work is focussed on nurturing playful exploration, education and geography through:
- Guerrilla Geography
- Alternative Exploration
- Writing on creative geographies
- Presenting on screen, on stage and on muddy fields
- Mission:Explore books, website and iPhone app and versions of it like this and this
- Editing a series of books on wildlife for National Geographic Kids (out in 2014)
- Producing innovative educational projects
- URBAN EARTH and UrbanStory projects by exploring cities
- Posting stuff on this blog and Twitter
- Working for children to have more freedom to play outdoors
- Organising fun and curious things at festivals including Glastonbury, Hay and Latitude
- Facilitating workshops, giving talks, training and leading alternative team-building
I’m also running the London Marathon and am raising money for the awesome work done by the Outward Bound Trust. Please do sponsor my run and help the Outward Bound Trust to take disadvantaged young people on life-changing adventures.
I am always pleased to hear from people like you. If you have any questions or requests please do contact me through the form below.